Sunday, November 8, 2009

My First Tri

3 1/2 weeks out from race day, I decided to do a triathlon. Not the best training regiment. I was meeting Kim and her friends down at Lake Mead and we were all doing our first one. Long story short... I finished... and trust me, that was a huge feat!

The run down: I had a complete meltdown about 20 times during the swim. It took me FOREVER to get through the swim. I had a kayaker follow me the whole way b/c I was hell bent on not getting disqualified but I was so freaked out that I needed someone by me. I think next year I'll make Daniel come and paddle next to me. Think the race people will mind? :) The bike went awesome. Felt great. Same with the run. Feeling great on those 2 were a surprise to me because when I was practicing doing all 3 events it did not feel so good. Race day adrenaline I guess.


Gorgeous Start

Just before the 1/2 mile swim. If anyone knows me... I'm the WORST swimmer ever! I took a strokes class in college. Never left the shallow end. This tri was part of my personal vendetta with swimming. In retrospect... open water swimming is not the best venue to try and swim more than a length in a row for the first time.

On the bike portion. Yup. I took my camera with me on the bike ride.


When it was all said and done :)


Overall, the triathlon was an awesome experience. DEFINITELY need to train to swim more and train in open water to avoid the "black water freak out." Not so sure I want to do another in the nearest future, that is how bad the swim went. But I'm glad I took the plunge and got one under my belt.


We stayed in Vegas at the Palms after the tri. Had a great time in our room. It was one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. We even went down and gambled a bit. Jeff and I won some cash on the Blackjack tables. First time I've ever played the tables.