Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back Country Run

A few weekends back Daniel was off doing some manual labor for someone and I decided to jump in the Back Country Run. I had been wanting to actually train for the race so my body would feel good afterwards and during, but I just never got around to training for the run. A local shop in town puts this race on each year. There is a 10 mile option and a 16.5 mile option. Of course I'm not crazy enough to run 16.5 miles for fun (just yet at least!) so I opted for the 10 mile run. I've started to enjoy running trails since I moved here and I had never experienced and organized backcountry event, so I decided Why Not? So... the night before as Daniel ordered up some pizza, I fully comitted and made some spaghetti.




I won't lie... it wasn't easy... but it was fun! The first bit was OK, but when we started to climb up Griffin's Butte at the 5 mile mark, I was thinking "why the hell did I decide to do this???!" I made buds with this chick named Erin and we just powered through the climb of it together. Once we summited, I let 'er rip and cruised downhill. And, much to my surprise with the rough conditions of the trail, I didn't fall once! I had a close one, but managed to save myself. I feel good about finishing in 1:34. I was 9th for my age group. Great experience.